About the Symposium
Arizona Junior Science and Humanities Symposium is a prestigious scholarship program for students (Grades 9-12) in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM).
Individual students compete for scholarships and recognition by presenting the results of their original research efforts at
Arizona State University, ASU East Campus (7001 E Williams Field Rd, Mesa, AZ 85207).
Guidelines for attending the National JSHS
Judges will select students from the morning session to compete in an afternoon final round. These students will compete for an opportunity
to attend the National JSHS. Judges will select the top five competitors for this honor. 1st and 2nd place will compete as oral presenters at Nationals.
3rd - 5th will attend as observers and have an opportunity to share their work in a poster session. A 6th place alternate will also be selected so that he/she can
attend in case one of the top five cannot attend. Please be aware that only the top six students are ranked in the afternoon AZJSHS session.
Sometimes, though very rarely, one or more of the top finalists is unable to attend and the alternate is also unable to attend the National JSHS.
In such a situation, students who competed as an oral presenters, from either the morning and afternoon oral sessions will be considered to attend Nationals as an observer.
The AZJSHS directors and judges have the final say in selecting any oral presenters (whether finalist or not) to attend nationals as an observer.
Observers, presenters, and chaperones must Register. Registration is now open.
Only oral presenters are required to submit a formal
abstract, a research paper, and a statement of outside assistance as part of their final project, which can be done through the online registration system.
- Friday, February 15, 2019 - Registration Deadline (Includes Abstract and Statement of Outside Assistance)
- Friday, February 22, 2019 - Students will be notified of acceptance as an oral presenter
Arizona JSHS Event Schedule
All Students and Chaperones are expected to attend all Arizona JSHS Events. Students and chaperones who live outside a 90 mile radius of ASU who requested lodging will be contacted directly to confirm lodging assignments (there is no cost for lodging for students and chaperones).
Friday, March 1, 2019 - Day One
- 4:30 PM - Lodging check-in for students/teachers/chaperones who live outside a 90 mile radius of ASU and also requested and confirmed lodging during registration will be contacted with instructions.
- 5:30 PM - *MANDATORY FOR ALL ORAL PRESENTERS* Check-In and Opening Dinner at ASU Polytech Cooley Ballroom (Parking Information) Arizona State University, ASU East Campus (7001 E Williams Field Rd, Mesa, AZ 85207 - Parking Lot 10)
- PARKING: PARTICIPANTS SHOULD USE PARKING LOT 10. PARKING FEE HAS BEEN WAIVED FOR ALL AZJSHS ATTENDEES ON FRIDAY AFTER 4:30PM AND ALL DAY SATURDAY. DO NOT PAY FOR PARKING.
- Opening Dinner Welcome Speaker: Army ROTC Cadet Kelly Charley, JSHS Alum and Sophomore EE Major at ASU
- Keynote Speaker: Dr. T. G. Ganesh, Assistant Dean of Engineering Education at ASU's Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering and Associate Research Professor in the School for Engineering of Matter, Transport, and Energy
Saturday, March 2, 2019 - Day Two
- 6:30 AM - 7:30 AM - Oral presenters MUST SIGN-IN at Cooley Ballroom
Presenters should pre-load their presentation in their assigned presentation room by 7:30 AM
ROOM ASSIGNMENTS will be posted Friday night at opening session in the Cooley Ballroom.
Plan to bring your own laser pointer if necessary.
- 8:00 AM - ORAL PRESENTATIONS start PROMPTLY at 8:00 AM. Please be seated before doors close.
- 11:45 AM - LUNCH BREAK - Lunch tickets to Citrus Dining will be issued at morning session check-in.
- 12:15 PM - Afternoon final ROUND oral presenters will be announced in Cooley Ballroom.
- 1:00 PM - Final round oral presentations take place at Cooley Ballroom.
*Presentations will be live streamed on our AZJSHS Facebook page
- Afternoon - Refreshment Break during judges' deliberation and student mingling/games
- 5:00 PM - Award Ceremony at Cooley Ballroom (time subject to change)